<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OMG! I grew up in Mount Vernon by the trains and lived there for the first 29 years of my life and taught there and my mom is still there.Originally posted by adri-adri:
My mom told me that her grandmother (my great grandmother, the mother of Charlotte and Ruth) used to leave food out on her front porch for hobos - the homeless people during the depression. I think they lived in Mount Vernon (just north of NYC). They may have even taken in boarders. The hobos "marked" their house - just like Kit's - as a friendly house, one where you could get food.
When you talk to grandma find out where she lived. I will be able to even photograph some of the areas for you as I am down there twice a week.
I can also give you a ton of historical documents and information on the 1920's and 1930's in town. My family lived there since they came over. My godmother was born in 1901 and left a rich history of her life during the depression and the war years.
I also know the real Kit and her family so I can give you some info on that!
Lorie





Bookmarks